Photo: Cape Fur Seals, lovely pinnipeds, in Cape Town. Videos: opening sequences for the old TV show Emergency!
Chris from Methed Up tagged me with the meme of 8 random things, with the following rules:
"1. Each player must post these rules first.
2. Each player starts with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
3. People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
4. At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.
5. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog."
I'm leaving out 4 and 5... but here's #2.
1. My first language was Portuguese (but I stopped speaking it shortly thereafter, when my family moved back to the United States).
2. My college mascot was the Banana Slug.
3. Two of my favorite college classes: "Architecture of the Suburbs" and "Anthropology of Dance."
4. I am one of the two oldest people in my intern class, just as I was one of the two oldest people in my medical school class.
5. 44% of the kids who were in 9th grade with me dropped out by the time I graduated from high school. But none of my friends were among them.
6. My first career ambition (at age 4): to be a paramedic.
7. I'm a huge fan of pinnipeds.
8. I have started to think that I have become much more introverted than I once was, or perhaps I'm just realizing I was never as extroverted as I thought I was; either way, this is some part of the explanation for why I am not tagging eight other bloggers with this meme.